High Point Rotary Club
Rotary District 7690 - Piedmont North Carolina

click on Club Information for directions

About the club
Links to other Rotary websites
Club Leadership Other District 7690 Club Websites
Club InformationRotary International Gateway
Club CommitteesRotary District 7690 Gateway
Club Membership
Club Bulletin
Club CalendarDistrict Calendar
When/Where do clubs meet? Club Genealogy


DaCdb Login Gateway


HISTORICAL HIGHLIGHTS - ROTARY CLUB OF HIGH POINT

1994Our club joins with the Kiwanis Club of High Point and the Business and Professional Men's Club to form Business Buddies, a partnership designed to increase business involvement in High Point's schools.
1992 Art Linkletter is the special guest of the three Rotary clubs in High Point at their annual Thanksgiving luncheon.
1992The club's first annual Rotary-Greenway 5K race is held to support completion of the Greenway project.
1991Dr. Norman Vincent Peale presents the Thanksgiving program for High Point's three Rotary clubs.
1991Chip Wood brings honor to the Club when he is recognized with the Distinguished Service Award by Rotary International, one of its highest honors.
1988$78,000 is pledged by members of the club for Polio Plus, Rotary International's campaign to eradicate polio throughout the world by 2005
1983Our club's members provide and build a ranger's house for the Boy Scouts at Camp Uwharrie.
1978The North High Point Rotary Club, now known as the Triad Rotary Club, is chartered with sponsorship from the Rotary Club of High Point
1975Presidential hopeful and former California Governor Ronald Reagan speaks to hundreds at a weekly meeting of the Club.
1971

High Point's second Rotary club, Furnitureland Rotary, is chartered with sponsorship from the Rotary Club of High Point.

1962 Our club sponsors the first Rotary Career Day in High Point's high schools.
1961 $2,100 is raised for the House of Prayer, beginning an association that eventually leads to donations of more than $75,000, and garners a Paul Harris Award for the club from Rotary International.
1959 Rotary International President Harold Thomas visits the club to celebrate its fortieth birthday.
1958 The first Rotary Barbecue and Auction is conducted by the club and raises nearly $6,000 for Camp Cheerio. Items for auction include a Jaguar Mark VII and a 1959 Plymouth. This event would become the club's primary fund raiser for nearly thirty years.
1953 The first of many generations of High Point children enjoy riding the kiddie train at City Lake Park, thanks to its purchase by the Rotary Club of High Point.
1952 A little-known entertainer named Andy Griffith, along with his wife, perform at the club's annual Ladies Night for a fee of $50. Four months later Griffith's career takes off with his hit recording of What It Was, Was Football.
1948 Tune Times, a musicale to benefit the cripple children's fund is a tremendous success. In addition, the club also provides High Point's first iron lung machine.
1946 Our club starts and underwrites the first driver training program in the North Carolina public schools. This was also the first program of its kind in the South.
1939 Paul Harris visits Greensboro and is hosted by the local Rotary clubs for a speech at the O'Henry Hotel.
1930 The Sheraton Hotel is the club's meeting place beginning in the thirties and on through the fifties.
1927 The Rotary Club of High Point begins an association with the Boy Scouts that continues to this day.
May 1920 A formal charter dinner is held at the Commercial Club (where the Holiday Inn is now located). The club's official charter is presented by two representatives from Rotary International. The club grows slowly in its early years due to Rotary regulations at the time that permit only two new members per year. The club does grow quickly however in the area of service, becoming involved with most causes in High Point. High Point's first Rotarians were instrumental in organizing the Chamber of Commerce, the Southern Furniture Exposition Building, the Sheraton Hotel, the hospital, and the YMCA.

February 1920

With sponsorship from the Greensboro Rotary Club, the Rotary Club of High Point is chartered as club number 617. The club's twenty charter members, the maximum allowed by Rotary International were:

A. S. Caldwell
Carter Dalton
J. J. Farris
C. M. Hauser
H. B. Hiatt
W. C. Idol
C. F. Long
W. M. Marr
G. A. Matton
J. E. Millis
A. S. Parker
John R. Peacock
J. P. Rawley
Harry Raymond
L. C. Sinclair
Fred N. Tate
R. B. Terry
S. H. Tomlinson
R. H. Walker
Frank Wineskie
October 1919 A group of men meet on Frank Wineskie's side porch on North Main Street in High Point, North Carolina to organize the city's first service club.

 

HISTORICAL HIGHLIGHTS OF ROTARY

The first four Rotarians in the world met on the evening of February 23, 1905 in a rather dreary office in the Unity Building on Chicago's Dearborn Street. They were Paul P. Harris, a lawyer, Silvester Shiele, a colal dealer, Gudtavus E. Loehr, a mining engineer, and Hiram E,. Shorey, a merchant tailor.

They met to discuss an idea that Paul Harris had been pondering for five years. Quite simply it was this: that business relations not only could, but should, foster friendly relations. Harris was convinced that there was no reason why business should be a barrier to friendship.

As the men talked of ways to foster business-social relations, they decided in agreement with Paul Harris, that the formation of a club might beest serve their aims. Althogh there was nothing formal about the discussion that evening, it was in reality the first meeting of the world's first Rotary club.

By the end of 1905 there were thirty Rotarians in Chicago. The new club was named Rotary because the members met, in rotation, in their various places of business.

Now, years later, this idea of Paul Harris has grown to become an organization of 1.2 million members in over 27,000 Rotary clubs in 150 countries throughout the world.

 


110424